ME :)

Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Sunday, August 16, 2009

P and L

A B C D... This is what we started off with as nursery kids. But as we grow up we are left with just 2 letters out of the 26 - P and L. If you still did not get what it is, it means you still have the kid inside you. Grow up! Of course it is Profit and Loss. The two terms we hear the most in our daily lives in different forms. More so if you are in a corporate environment.

"What do I gain?" or to introduce more philanthropy and unity "What do we gain?". "What is the incentive to do xyz?" The most common questions I heard all day long had made me conclude it is all about gain and loss. More the progress humans are making, farther are we moving from "emotions, humanity, selflessness, care" and all such great words which are only part of books and movies which are again made to make some P :P

I often think about it and move on with my life lest I am left behind. Yesterday I was going on a bike ( Of course Pillion... I have still not become confident enough to ride one myself. I confess.)
I was lost in my own world framing my philosophy when I heard an unknown voice from behind -"Madam" It is rare to to find known people approach you and say a "hi" without a purpose. We have got too busy to do something without this other P. For a moment I wondered what would this stranger have to talk to me in the middle of the road! He continued - "Your dupatta". "My dupatta what??" "Oh it was close to the wheels and could have been dangerous if only he had not warned me". He moved ahead swiftly before I could realize and say a "Thank you". But that left me thinking - "Oh world has still not become that bad after all. There are people still who feel like doing something however small it is when it comes to some strangers life without thinking - How do I care!" It made me smile :)

May be my small world did not create enough such examples for me every day to remind me world is still beautiful. Its not that bad after all. Or
May be I was not looking at the right places and kept pushing myself towards cynicism. Or
May be world is indeed the way I think where such examples are rare to find.

I don't have the perfect answer. Yet I would like to believe I have not been looking at the right places. The article in the newspaper the next day about a guy who distributes slippers anywhere he finds someone walking barefoot was indeed inspiring and reassuring. He has been doing that for 5 years without publicity (the other P). It assured me two things - "Its not that bad after all."
" Well, I have started looking in the right direction."

No comments: